The Paris Wife

The Paris Wife - Paula McLain

I've always thought to live a life like Ernest Hemingway would be a dream. Living a life full of adventure with a carefree attitude, writing a book about it and having it published would be quite like heaven. In A Paris Wife, a fictional account of Hemingway's  first wife Hadley Richardson we learn that his life was not always blissful.

In 1920 Hadley Richardson is 28 years old and she is close to giving up on love. Enter young Ernest Hemingway who proceeds to sweep her off her feet. After a whirlwind courtship they marry and set sail for Paris.

Once they set up residence in Paris and settled into their new life they met all the great names, Ezra Pound, Gertrude Stein and F. Scott Fitzgerald and as such defined as the Lost Generation. It's the Jazz Age and there is no better time to be in Paris. Although deeply in love, parties and drinking is the mainstay of their lives. In the midst of all this distraction Hemingway struggles to write and get published and will do anything to achieve this goal. Hadley is the traditional wife living then a very modern and untraditional kind of life.  She is supportive and understanding to the extreme while Hemingway, self-absorbed and callous is her opposite.

This was a very different kind of romance, while the kind of life the Hemingway's lived might be unattainable to most it had very real elements which successfully allures one into their story.

How this book was acquired: Bought for my mother-in-law as a personal shopper for my father-in-law. Loaned to me by my mother-in-law.