The Little Friend

The Little Friend - Donna Tartt

I was beginning to think I'd never see the end of this book. This is the third book I've read by Donna Tartt and I'm sad to say it's my least favorite. Definitely not up to par with The Secret History and The Goldfinch both of which I thought were excellent.

This story takes place in Mississippi in the 70's a decade after Harriet's older brother Robin was found hanged in their yard. His death remains an unexplained mystery for the family as well as the small town where they live. Although only twelve years old Harriet realizes the impact her brother's death has had on her family. Raised predominantly by her grandmother, Harriet and her sister know their mother has not been well since that eventful day. Their father no longer lives at home but lives near his work in Nashville and only shows up on the rare occasion.

Frustrated and consumed by unanswered questions, Harriet sets out to find her brother's killer and punish him. Enlisting her friend Hely they pursue the man she thinks killed her brother and in doing so risk their own lives repeatedly.

I enjoyed the sections about Harriet and her family but not so much the parallel story of "the killer" and his family. I grew weary of the ceaseless chronicles of their unfortunate lives. It felt like it was just a lot of the same repeating itself and thus the pages never seem to end.

How this book was acquired: Purchased from half.com whilst reading The Goldfinch. I wanted EVERYTHING by this author.