Where'd You Go Bernadette?

Where'd You Go, Bernadette: A Novel - Maria Semple

Bernadette Fox, the namesake of this book marches to the beat of her own drum and she doesn't apologize for it. She is an award-winning architect and moves with her Microsoft genius of a husband Elgin to Seattle to raise a family. After years of trying, finally their daughter Bee is born and she is Bernadette's whole world. No longer working she proves to be the most eccentric stay-at-home mom ever. They live in a house that was previously a home for wayward girls and it is falling into serious disrepair. Diplomacy is not a quality that Bernadette possesses and dealing with the seemingly mundane parents of Bee's school always seems to land her in trouble. Once Elgin has had enough of Bernadette's escapades he decides to take matters into his own hands but not before she gets wind of it and disappears first.

This book is laugh-out-loud funny and you will at moments find yourself wishing you could be as bold as Bernadette in how she handles life. Formatted in the way of letters and emails made this book a breeze to read. I was especially pleased to find references to both my favorite saint, Bernadette of Lourdes and children's book, Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown mentioned in this book.

I think anyone would find this book highly enjoyable.