Tolstoy and the Purple Chair

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading - Nina Sankovitch

This book is the true account of Nina Sankovitch and her quest to read a book a day for a year as a way to deal with the death of her older sister. She and her sister Anne-Marie shared a love of reading and therefore decided this project would be her way to pay tribute to her beloved sister as well as allow time for herself to heal while doing something she also enjoys.

As a person who has dealt with grieving for loved ones more than half my life I cannot convey enough how this author perfectly expressed her emotions and feelings in such a way that she could have been writing my story. The first half of this book I read through tears as I was so moved and grateful that somebody "got it" and could portray their experience so eloquently into words on a page. Such a validation.

Besides feeling such a strong connection with the author in dealing with death of a loved one, I also enjoyed her quotes and reflections of the many books she read throughout the year.  How they touched her particularly in relation to her life and the world as whole was beautifully poignant. For me, a book about books is about as perfect as a book can be.  We learn many things through books, through the experience of characters we read about and the places we travel within a story, and this author superbly parallels fiction to life.