State of Wonder

State of Wonder - Ann Patchett

Dr. Marina Singh works for a pharmaceutical company, her lab partner Dr. Anders Eckman who is doing research in the Amazon is pronounced dead. Dr. Singh tries to comfort his widow but Mrs. Eckman is not convinced her husband is dead and urges Dr. Singh to make the trip to the Amazon to find out what's happened. She agrees to go to the jungle to search for answers because she feels awful for the wife and it seems there is no one else to do so. What?!

I suppose I didn't believe that Dr. Singh possessed the courage to take on such an adventure and the fact she would so readily agree to go into the jungle for a co-worker seems unrealistic even for a book. While I might care for my co-worker's, I don't think I would run the risk of malaria, snakes and God knows what else for their welfare. This made it difficult to relate to Dr. Singh, the main character, as well as there being an emotional disconnect of the characters, this story didn't have an easy flow to it.

I had higher hopes for this book because it has gotten such rave reviews but it was not what I expected. I have enjoyed other books by this author, Bel Canto and The Patron Saint of Liars.