In Love of Books and Friendship

I am a passionate reader and hopeless bibliophile.  When I am not reading I am quite often shopping for more books. Nothing makes me happier than when someone asks me to recommend a good book . . . so you've come to the right place.  Let's talk about books. Tell me, what are you reading?

Croutons or Bacon Bits?

Book Q & A

Remember those "get to know you" questionnaires that you'd get in your in-box every so often?  This one is quite similar but in a bookish fashion.

Book Q&A Rules

1. Post these rules

2. Post a photo of your favourite book cover

3. Answer the questions below

4. Tag a few people to answer them too

5. Go to their blog/twitter and tell them you’ve tagged them

6. Make sure you tell the person who tagged you that you’ve taken part!

Favorite cover.  Too many to chose from but I like this one.

The Photograph - Penelope Lively

What are you reading right now?

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter.  I read one book at a time.

Do you have any idea what you’ll read when you’re done with that?

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

What five books have you always wanted to read but haven’t got round to?

The Scarlett Letter by Nathanial Hawthorne. I feel like this book is frequently referenced and while I know the premise of the story, I won't feel worthy until I read it.

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. It's been on my unread shelf for years and has moved twice with me.

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. Same as The Red Tent.

Jewel by Brett Lott. From Oprah's Book Club. I got burnt out on her books. Sorry Oprah.

River, Cross my Heart by Breena Clarke. Another Oprah's Book Club.

What magazines do you have in your bathroom/ lounge right now?

Magazines around the house that are mine - InStyle, Vogue, Afar, Oprah.  I generally don't "read" magazines, I just like to look at the pictures.

What’s the worst book you’ve ever read?

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and 50 Shades of Grey by E. L. James. 100 Years - The fantasy thing with the characters growing the pigtails?? I got it but why? Ack!!  50 Shades - If you read it you know why, but someone did tell me "You HAVE to read it!"  I was a bit mortified when my son caught me reading an was appalled "You're reading that?!" Maybe I should just steer clear of book titles with numbers?

What book seemed really popular but you didn’t like?

Room by Emma Donaghue.  I would have never chose this myself but I was in book club that has since failed and this was the pick.  It just made me ill and I struggled through the whole book.

What’s the one book you always recommend to just about everyone?

There are a few that are my usual recommendations, See "evangelist" answer.  I really think A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving is a "pay it forward" kind of book.  You just want to share that experience with everyone.

What are your three favourite poems?

George Gray/Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters. I refer to this often for inspiration.

Psalm 23:4. Odd, I know. Although I've been to too many funerals to count, I just love these words.

The Road not Taken by Robert Frost.

Where do you usually get your books?

Mostly from half.com, library sales, used bookstores.  I will occasionally buy from the big chain store but usually when I have a coupon, gift card, and/or it's on clearance.

When you were little, did you have any particular reading habits?

I grew up in a tiny house with 3 siblings so I was never alone. I liked to read in the hall closet on a stack of blankets.  It had a light switch so I didn't have to use a flashlight.

What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was too good to put down?

Book of Secrets by Elizabeth Joy Arnold

Have you ever “faked” reading a book?

This question makes me laugh.  In high school we were required to read I Never Promised you a Rose Garden by Hannah Green and write a book report.  I wrote the report without reading but the back cover and received an A.  It was a lot of bull*hit.

Have you ever bought a book just because you liked the cover?

The Violets of March by Sarah Jio.  I haven't read it yet but the cover is just lovely.

What was your favourite book when you were a child?

The classic Nancy Drew books.

What book changed your life?

A New Earth by Ekhart Tolle.  Yes, this is non-fiction but it's the first to come to mind. I was divorced, worried about finances, my son, everything . . . this book gave me grip. I am no longer a chronic worrier.

What is your favourite passage from a book?

From The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje. Note: the entire book is so beautifully written there were times I actually read this aloud to myself just to hear the words.

“A love story is not about those who lost their heart but about those who find that sullen inhabitant who, when it is stumbled upon, means the body can fool no one, can fool nothing—not the wisdom of sleep or the habit of social graces. It is a consuming of oneself and the past.”

Who are your top five favourite authors?

Too difficult to narrow to 5 but these are some that come to mind:

John Irving

Rosamunde Pilcher

John Steinbeck

Penny Vincenzi

Jonathan Frantzen

What book has no one heard about but should read?

Beach Music by Pat Conroy, author of Prince of Tides. I think Beach Music is worlds better.

What books are you an ‘evangelist’ for?

Beach Music by Pat Conroy. It's just a great story.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

What are your favourite books by a first time author?

*I’m changing this to include first time novels

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

What is your favourite classic book?

Without a doubt, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. Jo March was my hero. She was smart, feisty and she loved her sisters.

Five other notable mentions?

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Thanks to Rory O'Connor for tagging me in this meme. I’m tagging Brie, Lori and Heather.  No pressure, just fun!!

And for everyone else: see below.

Your turn: You don’t have to be tagged to take part in the meme. You can respond in the comments or on your own blog – just share the link in the comments – I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I confess, I was the one forwarding the croutons/bacon bits questionnaires, probably kept it going for years.

The Widow of the South