The House at Tyneford

The House at Tyneford - Natasha Solomons

If you liked loved Jane Eyre, Rebecca or The Little Princess this is the book for you!  Very reminiscent with hints of all these favorites blend into this story.

Elise Landau comes from an affluent Austrian Jewish family.  Needing to leave her family to escape the increasing Nazi persecution in her beloved country she travels to the rural English costal village to serve as a maid. Though realizing she was fortunate to land such an assignment she struggles with her new role as a servant.  Terribly homesick and missing her family she agonizes with wait in receiving correspondence from her loved ones.

Compromising precedented social boundaries with her position Elise becomes friendly with the estate's heir Kit Rivers. She soon learns however that while these boundaries can be broken they cannot always be accepted.

Truly a "coming-of-age" story we witness Elise transform before our eyes from a innocent girl to a young woman wise beyond her years. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.

How I acquired this book: Either Half.com or Amazon.com

Shelf life:  Less than a year